My name is Brenna Fitzpatrick, and I’m an Intern at the Student Farm majoring in Plant Science with a focus in Agroecology and a minor in Entomology! I’m from Buffalo, NY (go bills!) and I’m interested in restoration ecology and field crop entomology. I previously spent my summers distributing compost bins to residents in my town and educating the community on the importance of organic matter in soil.

I became interested in Plant Science and Sustainable Agriculture in high school when my English teacher recommended Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer to me. Prior to reading this I was interested in agriculture, but I was only exposed to conventional agricultural practices. Reading this book made me realize it’s possible to have a career in agriculture while also having a passion for resource conservation. Discovering that these two interests of mine intersected via agroecology was exciting! Interning at the farm provides me with the perfect opportunity to take information I gain in a classroom setting and apply it in the field. I’m excited to continue learning about sustainable agriculture and food systems while working in a hands-on environment. The shift from conventional agriculture to more sustainable methods of cultivation is only continuing to evolve, and I’m thrilled that I get to be a part of it through the Student Farm!

Although the name gives it away, I was oblivious to just how much of the farm is student run until I started training for my internship. There are numerous student projects located on the farm that have contributed to its success, and many of these projects are completed by students not pursuing a career in sustainable agriculture. In addition to the projects visible on the farm, there are many that occur behind the scenes, involving logistics, business plans, etc. I find it so cool that the farm provides an opportunity for students with various majors and interests to utilize their knowledge and see it pay off!

In addition to being a part of the Student Farm 2024 Cohort Intern Class, I am also involved in the Student Farm Club, Rooftop Garden, and the Youth Education Project Team. This spring I spent a lot of time in head house 3 preparing plants for our 10th annual plant sale. We also built our sixth and final high tunnel on the farm in the spring, and being a part of the build crew was so fun! I loved learning about the building process and seeing it all come together. I’m so glad I got involved with the Student Farm and I highly recommend getting involved if you’re interested!